lewd messages

Namjin Chung nc1 at ACPUB.DUKE.EDU
Fri Jun 13 13:47:03 EST 1997

On 6-13-97 5:12p, S L Forsburg wrote:

>So, what to do?  Perhaps the new host of bionet can filter
>some of the more egregious ones out in some way.  In the meantime,
>for those who can, accessing the newsgroups through a news-server
>or the www (http://www.bio.net) allows you to ignore the worst
>ones more easily than subscribing to the listserv.

I have heard that some states legislated the ban of emailing as a tool of
commercial advertising, and I guess this trend will spread out other
states too in the future.  In the mean time, those who read
bionet.molbio.yeast with web browsers or newsgroup reader softwares could
simply ignore and do not read "lewd" postings.  What about those who
subscribe to this mailing list like me?  Here's one tip!

In these days, most email softwares are sophisticated so that users can
make rules or actions (like script file).  The trick is that most lewd
and commercial messages are being posted repeatedly by a small number of
people.  So I made it a rule for my email software (Claris Emailer 2.0)
to check sender's email address to my "black list" and "trash" unwanted
messages :-)) if they match.  This way I hardly see unwanted messages
unless I dig out my own email trash.

 Namjin Chung, graduate student
 Program in Molecular Cancer Biology
 Dept of Pharmacology & Cancer Biology