lewd messages

Francis Ouellette francis at BORDUAS.NLM.NIH.GOV
Wed Jun 11 07:01:26 EST 1997

> From maggieww at MAIL.UNM.EDU Wed Jun 11 01:30:46 1997

> Is there some way to keep announcements advertising essentially
> pornographic material off our listserver?  I find it absolutely
> anti-academic and disheartening.  Maggie WW

Dear Maggie, and others.

First and foremost, let me say that I agree with you.  These
messages are offensive, and do not deserve to be posted on our
newsgroup, as well as any bionet or science related newsgroup.
They should not be on any newsgroup, <period>

That being said, there is no _easy_ way that I know to prevent
these, apart from moderating the newsgroup, a task which would
remove the spontaneity (ie your message may not have been seen
this fast by all readers), and may even result in long delays.
I'm presently away now, and just happen to have a few minutes
to check e-mail, but it could have been days before the
moderator (I'm assuming it would be me, but this would not have
to be) would see your message, read it, allow it through if
she/he thought it would be appropriate to do so.  Moderation
does remove some traffic, but moderators may remove (or be
thought to remove) too much as well.

As the present coordinator of this newsgroup, my tasks are minimal.
I make sure all lost-souls ("please subscribe/unsubscribe..."
type messages) are taken care of, and that when ever I can,
interject with what ever comment can be useful.  I'm not sure
I would want to do too much more ... This yeast newsgroup is
not part of my day job :-), although I do feel attached to it,
and would not want to pass on the moderation to anybody,
unless there was a strong request from the community that
I should do so.

For those of you who will have read to this line, please feel free
to comment to me or the newsgroup about moderation of the
newsgroup.  Meanwhile I will check with the new BIOSCI
administration, and see if they have any thoughts on the
spaming problem, and possible prevention.

regards to all,

f.