Calcofluor

Hans-Peter Schmitz schmitzh at uni-duesseldorf.de
Tue Jun 3 19:02:59 EST 1997

Michel Guilloton wrote:

> Hello !
>
> We're trying to select yeast mutants sensitive to calcofluor white. We
> purchased from Sigma the following product "F-3543 Fluorescent
> brightener 28". Sigma says that this is another name for Calcofluoir
> white M2R.
>
> Maybe somebody could tell us whether this is a good stuff or not, and
> eventually where one could find out the genuine one that interacts with
> yeast cell wall.
>
> Thanks
>
> Michel Guilloton
>
> guilloton at unilim.fr

Hello Michel!
I used the same product to test a mutant I created and it worked out
fine. I only had the problem that pH 6,5 of the medium was too low for
solving the Calcofluor white (using a concentration of 1,5 mg/ml). Make
sure that your medium has a pH that is high enough to solve the
Calcofluor White and low enough that your yeast strain is still able to
grow.