S.cerevisiae progenitors

Dennis Walker ansel at hom.net
Mon Jul 21 20:42:01 EST 1997

I am not a scientist! I am an amateur brewer trying to recreate
a medieval beer recipe from 16th century England as closely as possible.
	I know it is probably hopeless to try to duplicate the yeast
strains that might have been in use then, but I would like to try to get
a little closer than ripping open a packet of modern engineered brewers'
yeast.
	I have tried to find a source of supply or guidance towards same
for any S. cerevisiae progenitor strains that might exist representative
of 'unengineered' brewing yeast. I am totally lost on a sea of web sites
discussing genome projects and other 'cutting-edge' topics.
	I guess what I'm looking for is the 'trailing edge.' I would
appreciate any suggestions. Thanks for your time.
	--Dennis Walker