Viability of diploids vs haploids in pombe

Namjin Chung nc1 at acpub.duke.edu
Fri Jan 17 20:38:56 EST 1997

In article <32DE2578.6C56 at nospam.salk.edu>, forsburg at nospamsalk.edu wrote:

> Karen Yoas wrote:
> >
> > Read in Experiments w/ Fission Yeast that diploid cells are less viable
> > in haploids.  Why?
>
> Well, I can speculate....
>
> think of the usual pombe cell cycle.  These guys don't WANT
> to be diploid, they want to be haploid.  The diploid phase is
> normally transient, a brief stop on the way to meiosis.

As a student who knows almost nothing about pombe, I find this very
interesting; cerevisiae prefers diploid while pombe prefers haploid.

Is there any explanation for this?  TIA :)

Namjin Chung (Graduate Student)
Program in Molecular Cancer Biology
Duke University Medical Center, Box 3345
Durham, NC 27710 USA