electroporation of S. pombe

Tritech Research Tritech_Research at lamg.com
Wed Aug 27 19:33:15 EST 1997

Does anyone have a good protocol for electroporating S. pombe?
I'm going to be doing a *lot* of pombe transformations soon and
could use a protocol that is more rapid than the standard lithium
acetate protocol and has comparable to higher levels of transformants.

Thanks!

Alia
----------
If anyone does have a good protocol, let me know.  We have a cool
hand-held, cordless, rechargeable electroporator (called
The Cloning Gun) that is less expensive ($995) and uses
"Pipectrodes" instead of cuvettes. The Pipectrodes
(only $1.50 compared w/ $2.00++ for cuvettes)
are sort of like cuvettes, except that they have a sample entry tip
sticking out of the bottom, and the top plugs into the nose of
The Cloning Gun.  So, you can suck up the cell/DNA mixture,
pull the trigger to zap it, then eject your transformants, all in
about 5 seconds.  So, I think this would be very well suited
for someone doing lots of transformations, both in time and
cost savings.

Right now, The Cloning Gun comes preset to parameters optimal
for E. coli transformation, but we could adjust them to a different
voltage for pombe, and even make a dual coli/pombe switchable
version if anyone is interested.

Any e-mail regarding this would be most appreciated.  Also, we
have a catalogue including The Cloning Gun plus lots of other great
inexpensive products, like a small heating/cooling incubator
for t-shift experiments that is only $499.  If you'd like a
catalogue, just let me know.

Andy Papp
tritech_research at LAMG.COM
Tritech Research, Inc.