Size limitation for episomes? 40 kb?

Namjin Chung nc1 at ACPUB.DUKE.EDU
Sat Apr 26 19:30:21 EST 1997

Dennis Templeton wrote:

>What is the size limitation of cen-ars and 2-micron plasmids in yeast?
>
>I need to make a 40 kb episome, high copy number if possible containing a
>viral genome. It needn't shuttle back into e. coli. I've seen such things
>done with YAC's but is there a size limitation on yeast episomes as there
>is in coli episomes?
>
>Thanks, Dennis

There is one good reference for your purpose:

Hieter, P. et al. (1985) Cell 40, 381-392.

They studied the chromosome stability regarding circular vs linear, size,
and ARS & CEN, and they found that the more stable a chromosome, the
bigger in size.  According to them, you should not have any problem with
CEN plasmids bigger than 100kb.

Good luck,

  Namjin Chung
  Rm. 213 MSRB, Box 3345