Replica plating yeast colonies

Singer Instruments yeast at singerinst.co.uk
Thu Apr 24 08:25:00 EST 1997

In article <pdxrah-ya02408000R1704971626160001 at news.nott.ac.uk>, Robin
Haw <pdxrah at pdn1.gene.nottingham.ac.uk> writes
>Could anybody tell me the best way to replica plate or screen 10000+ yeast
>colonies, ie velvet pads, nitrocellulose, nylon membranes or any other
>unusual method?
>
>Robin Haw
>Dept of Genetics
>QMC
>University of Nottingham
>UK

I have seen a wide variety of methods including velvets (different
kinds), filter paper, paper towels peeled apart and pronger (frogs) from
liquid suspensions.  Each is the *best* method to its advocate.

Some years ago I was keen to produce a super-duper replicating block
along the lines of some I had seen in labs in the USA with a few tweeks
of my own.  I bought metres of 100mm dia solid almin(i)um bar and turned
some out.  I then took one along to my friend Brian Cox, then at Oxford,
for his opinion.  Brian sniffed at it and said "you don't need that, all
you need is one of these".

He took a wooden matchbox out of his pocket, wrapped a piece of filter
paper 'round it and demonstrated his replicating technique. There and
then I recognised that the technique was too diverse for commercial
exploitation and I have never had the fortitude to sell a block since.

Regards,

Carl Singer
Singer Instruments....a responsiblity to science
Roadwater
Watchet
Somerset TA23 0RE                            yeast at singerinst.co.uk
England                                 http://www.singerinst.co.uk