S.pombe mutagenesis

SLForsburg susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
Mon Mar 25 15:33:20 EST 1996

jannatim at ERE.UMontreal.CA (Jannatipour Mehrdad) wrote:
>Hello everyone;
>
>Can anyboby point me to a paper/protocol regarding EMS mutagenesis in
>S.pombe?

You can use a standard cerevisiae protocol, such as that in the Fink/
Guthrie book or the CSH manual.  However, EMS is quite
toxic to pombe (apart from its mutagenic effects, I mean)--for example,
I've been told that diploids have a higher rate of killing than
haploids, although of course it should be much lower if death were due
genetic damage. I believe that other alkylating agents are more
successful, and nitrosoguanidine works very well.  I'll be interested
to read other people's experiences.

susan

susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
http://flosun.salk.edu/~forsburg/