Protease in yeast

Charles Brenner brenner at rose.brandeis.edu
Sun Mar 10 22:35:45 EST 1996

poonso at NWG.NECTEC.OR.TH (Poonsook Orprayoon) writes:

>I wonder if anyone know what is STE13 gene product in yeast , Pichia in
>this case?  As I understand, it is a protease that cut Glu-Ala repeat??
>If I have Glu-Ala in other region of the protein, will STE13 gene product
>cut it as well?

>Also, I am looking for protease negative strain of Pichia pastoris.  Let
>me know if anyone have.  Thanks.

>Poonsook

In cerevisiae, the product of the STE13 gene is a type IV dipeptidyl
aminopeptidase that removes X-Ala dipeptides from the amino-termini of
alpha factor processing intermediates.  Like other type IV DPAPases it
can also remove X-Pro dipeptides from amino-termini and it actually
removes a couple of these dipeptides from the mature amino-terminus of
Kex2 protease.  Because it is an aminopeptidase, no it will not remove
internal Glu-Ala sequences.

Charlie Brenner

--
Rosenstiel Center, rm 650	phone (617) 736-4908
Brandeis University		fax   (617) 736-2405
Waltham, MA 02254-9110		mailto:brenner at auriga.rose.brandeis.edu
http://www.rose.brandeis.edu/users/brenner