yeast transformation

Corey Davis cdavis at watson.princeton.edu
Mon Jul 22 17:49:49 EST 1996

In article <JOHNS.SIMON-1507961629160001 at 127-90.med.utah.edu>,
JOHNS.SIMON at HSC.UTAH.EDU (laurie JACKSON) wrote:

> i have a strain that i need to transform with a library at high
> transformation efficiency but this mutant strain does not transform well
> at all.  This strain must also carry a selection plasmid at the same time
> and be grown on multiple selection media.  Any ideas?

John,
   There's lots of reasons that yeast might not transform well.  I've
found that with a lot of mutants, there is a cell wall defect that makes
them very osmo-sensitive when placed in Lithium acetate.  If this might be
the case, try adding 1.2M sorbitol in with your competance buffer.  You
may also want to try electroporation -- efficiency is quite dependent on
the strain background, but it can increase efficiency 100 fold.  Other
things to vary would be the length of the heat shock.  For a good
reference on efficiency look at Geitz et. al., (1995) YEAST, 11: 355-360.

Good Luck,

Corey Davis

Broach Lab