yeast membranes and cholesterol

Martyn martijn.vaniersel at ALGEMEEN.LENM.WAU.NL
Wed Jul 17 10:41:04 EST 1996

> From: Cara Baker <crbaker at sun1.tcd.ie>
>
> Subject: Yeast Membranes and Cholesterol?
>
> Date: 17 Jul 1996 13:24:38 GMT
>
> Could anyone tell me if yeast membranes (Saccharomyces or Pichia
> pastoris) contain cholesterol?I'd be grateful if someone could point
> me in the direction of some useful references - even on the general
> lipid content of yeast plasma membranes.

Dear Cara,

generally it is thought that yeasts do not contain cholesterol,
whether they are able to use it ....?

as far as I know there is only one reference towards the presence of
a bit cholesterol in S.cerevisiae:
Bracco, 1971, la rivista a italiana delle sostanze grasse (whatever that
means) 48:242.

for a good reference look at:
The Yeasts, 2nd ed., vol. 3 and/or vol. 4., rose and harrison eds.

greetings, Martijn van Iersel

Dept. Food Science
Wageningen Agricultural University
The Netherlands