Job Announcement

Cathy Ball ball at GENOME.STANFORD.EDU
Thu Jul 11 19:13:54 EST 1996

The Saccharomyces Genome Database (SGD) group of database curators is
looking for motivated,
experienced molecular biologists to join our team. SGD is committed to
presenting high quality information.
The primary duties of the curators are to analyze data obtained from the
scientific literature, DNA sequencing
projects and the submissions of database users. The curators work as part
of a team of biologists and
computer scientists to maintain the database. As scientists, the curators
are representatives of the yeast
community. The SGD curators also contribute to the innovations improving
the database.

The curators also have an important role providing online assistance to
database users and representing SGD
at scientific meetings. In addition, now that the sequence of the yeast
genome is complete, there will be new
types of data to be presented in SGD. The curators will be creating new
ways to format and analyze these
data.

Curators are expected to perform analyses that require an understanding
of scientific literature, experimental
procedures, genetics and DNA sequence analysis. Therefore prospective
curators should hold an M.S. or
Ph.D. degree in molecular biology or a related field. Although it would
be useful for curators to have worked
with yeast as an experiental organism, a background in genetics and
molecular biology is sufficient.

There are several full- or part-time curator positions available. As a
part-time position, it is an excellent way
to contribute to the scientific community, keep up with the latest
progress in the field, and work with a high
profile team of scientists while pursuing other interests.

Please contact SGD if you are interested in becoming part of the curator
team. Several members of SGD will
be attending the Yeast Meeting in Madison, WI (Aug 6-11). We would be
happy to talk to prospective
applicants there. Please refer to our official job description located on
our Web site (http://www-genome.stanford.edu/Saccharomyces/).

Send letter and C.V. to:

       Saccharomyces Genome Database
       Attn: Mike Cherry
       Department of Genetics, School of Medicine
       Stanford University
       Stanford, California 94305-5120
       Fax: 415-723-7016