antimetabolites vs Nystatin or Et Brom.

Scott Vande Pol sbv at pop.cwru.edu
Mon Oct 9 14:09:58 EST 1995

Greetings All:

We have been trying to enrich for auxotrophs.  One technique that we have
used  (and that was suggested to me in this news group) is nystatin
selection.  We get about 50 to 100X enrichment of auxotrophs, not the
10,000 fold enrichment that was in the origional paper (Snow, Nature 1966
paper).  I was wondering if antimetabolites such as BUDR, or 6-thioguanine
can be used to select for yeast that fail to enter S phase.  We might then
be able to combine the two techniques.   Any thoughts or experience on this
would be appreciated.  If you E-mail me your responses, I will post a
summary of the answers.
--
Scott Vande Pol
Case Western Reserve University