Mutants that fail to grow on SD but are not defective in

PAIDH001 at MC.DUKE.EDU PAIDH001 at MC.DUKE.EDU
Sun Oct 1 15:06:53 EST 1995

Kevin,
Some work i've been doing has faced a problem of distinguishing between SD and
YEPD. In my case, addition of amino acids to SD did not help - so it may not be
the same as your mutants. some of the differences between SC/SD and YEPD that i
have come across are :
1. Ion concentrations - SD has higher Ca+2 and Mg+2 but lower K+ levels than
YEPD.
2. Nutrients(?) - many nutrients (eg. some fatty acids) are present in YEPD but
have to be added to SD.
3. pH - i find a consistent difference in the pH between SD and YEPD.
Specifically, with respect to your question, i was wondering if the mutant in
the secretory pathway (?) was extra sensitive to some ion levels - you could try
adding salts back to YEPD to see if your mutants fail to grow on salt-
supplemented YEPD. pH could be tested similarly.
As to the nutrients - i guess they are just too complex to dissect this way. But
initially, just spiking your SD with some YEPD might indicate if something in SD
was toxic to the mutants or if SD was missing some nutrient.

Hope this was helpful
madan