Distribution of period in S.cerevisiae or S.pombe

SLForsburg susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
Thu Nov 30 13:02:07 EST 1995

Pierre-Charles Romond <promond> wrote:
>Hello,
>I was wondering if anyone could provide me with information about
>the number of synchronised division that you can have in a synchronised
>culture until desynchronisation. Comments, problems or references would be
>greatly appreciated.

In fission yeast, you can best induce synchrony (1) by block and release
of a cdc mutant such as cdc25;  (2) by centrifugal elutriation, or (3)
by gradient centrifugation, for example with a lactose gradient.  cdc25
block and release gives about 80-90% synchrony in the first cycle
(measured by septation index) but this drops rapidly in the second
cycle.  The best you get with elutriation is about 40%, and again, this
drops strikingly in the second cycle.  Asynchronous cells have about 10%
septation index.  Therefore, really you can't get more than two
good cycles before they drift out of synchrony, and the second is not as good as the first.

S L Forsburg
susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
http://flosun.salk.edu/~forsburg
 "I don't speak for the Institute,