Toxic galactose analogs?

Marc Lamphier lamphier at po.infosphere.or.jp
Sun Nov 26 22:25:46 EST 1995

In article <1995Nov24.103723.4409 at leeds.ac.uk>, arle at biovax.leeds.ac.uk
(Arle Kruckeberg) wrote:

> Hello buddies--
>
> Does anyone know of any toxic galactose analogs?
>
> For example, is 2-deoxygalactose toxic in a fashion analogous to the
> toxicity of 2-deoxyglucose?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Arle
> a.k.a. Dr. Arthur L. Kruckeberg
>  Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
> University of Leeds        phone  +44 +113 2333172
> Leeds LS2 9JT              FAX    +44 +113 2333167
> Great Britain              arle at biovax.leeds.ac.uk

Some of the original GAL- yeast mutants were isolated using a toxic
galactose analog, these papers might be good
to look at for methods, concentrations, etc.  I used to know the name of
the analog (and I believe it was
2-deoxygalactose) but my memory is failing me in my dottering old age
(well, I'm 40). In any case this analog
was used quite commonly in the earlier GAL yeast literature and should be
easy to find. Several of the standard yeast
manuals will mention it. Another trick is to use GAL7 or GAL10 mutants.
Galactokinase (GAL1) converts galactose
into a phosphorylated intermediate which in a GAL7 or GAL10 mutant cannot
be metabolized further; the intermediate
is cytostatic or toxic to the cell.