cyclin antibodies

SLForsburg susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
Mon Nov 27 21:11:58 EST 1995

Fran_VanDolah at CCGATE.SSP.NMFS.GOV ("Fran VanDolah") wrote:
>     I am working on cell cycle regulation in dinoflagellates and am
>     seeking an antibody that recognizes yeast cyclin(s) and/or cyclins
>     from other protists. Most commercially available cyclin antibodies
>     recognize vertebrate cyclins, and have no cross reactivity with lower
>     eukaryotes. Does anyone know of a source of such a probe?

There isnt a lot of similarity between cyclins from different yeast
species, at least, no more than there is between yeast and metazoan
cyclins (I THINK everyone will agree with me on that one). Eg,
pombe and cerevisiae G1 cyclins dont cross-react; I dont think the
B's do either (but am not sure).
Therefore, you may be on a longshot....however, PCR cloning has been
successful for a number of cyclins, especially of the B family, which has a few good conserved domains.  And cloning by complementation
of a cerevisiae triple-G1 cyclin deletion has been very productive
for cyclin isolation even of divergent classes, if you want to make
the effort of making a cDNA library!

susan, formerly a cyclinologist

S L Forsburg
susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu