baffled flasks: vital or futile ?

Ken Howe howe at DARWIN.UCSC.EDU
Fri Nov 24 13:37:18 EST 1995

> > Hi,
> >
> >  I am currently starting expression in yeast and the manufacturer (of
> the expression system) is highly recommending baffled flasks.
> > However, we do not have those flasks, only regular Erlenmeyer.  Should I
> follow blindly the manufacturer's instructions ?  If not, is there
> > a  place I could find some good and cheap baffled flasks (from 250 ml to
> 2000 ml) without spending away for nothing ?

I've heard that the baffles allow for better aeration of the culture and
thus better growth.  I've also headr that expression of some
difficult-to-express proteins is also better in baffled flasks.  I don't
think it makes much difference in most cases, though.

> I've only used regular Erlenmeyers and everything seems to work OK.  The
> only problem seems to be a higher risk of contamination.  Oh well, I
> needed practice on aseptic technique anyway.

So, why is there an increased risk of contamination?

Ken Howe