baffled flasks: vital or futile ?

Kurt Sims sims at acs.ucalgary.ca
Fri Nov 24 10:06:16 EST 1995

In article <490fcm$e1v at sifon.cc.mcgill.ca>, Eric Campeau
<popa0272 at PO-Box.McGill.CA> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I am currently starting expression in yeast and the manufacturer (of
the expression system) is highly recommending baffled flasks.
> However, we do not have those flasks, only regular Erlenmeyer.  Should I
follow blindly the manufacturer's instructions ?  If not, is there
> a  place I could find some good and cheap baffled flasks (from 250 ml to
2000 ml) without spending away for nothing ?

I've only used regular Erlenmeyers and everything seems to work OK.  The
only problem seems to be a higher risk of contamination.  Oh well, I
needed practice on aseptic technique anyway.