Alcohol dehydrogenase

Edward Varga ucecegv at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Nov 24 03:39:40 EST 1995

In article <199511221135.JAA25757 at rjo04.embratel.net.br> fleisch at embratel.net.br writes:

>   Hello netters.
>   Does anybody know an easy and cheap way to measure the Alcohol
>   dehydrogenase activity in yeast cells?
>   Thanks in advance.
>                                        Claus
>                                        Fleisch at embratel.net.br

There is a standard yeast ADH assay in:

                        H.U. Bergmeyer
 	        Methods of Enzymatic Analysis
                        Vol II 3rd edition 1983  - Verlag Chemie Weinheim
                        Section 2.2.1 pgs 139-141

Yeast ADH catalyses the oxidation of ethanol by NAD, with production of
acetaldehyde and NADH.  An initial rate assay can then be used to measure the
production of NADH and from that ADH activity can be calculated. Obviously,
you'll need to disrupt the yeast cells before assaying but the assay itself
is fairly easy to carry out - tho the NAD is abit expensive.

Hope this helps (and let me know if someone comes up with a better way of
measuring yeast ADH!)

Ed Varga
Research Student
Department of Biochemical Engineering