heterogenous size of transformants

Kevin Morano kamorano at ucdavis.edu
Mon Nov 13 19:30:32 EST 1995

   My problem is similar to one discussed earlier.  When I do a
transformation, I frequently get back 2-3 size classes of colonies, some
big and healthy, some puny and weak.  I can't believe they're all petites,
since these numbers can approach 30-50%.  Upon restreaking, most retain
their puny nature and are difficult to grow.  They are not completely
dead, however.  Is there anything one can do to stop this?  I've
experienced it with at least two strain backgrounds (SEY6210, W303-1b) and
it really bugs me.

Thanks for any advice!
Kevin Morano
Klionsky lab