Yeast Introns??

Dean Danner Lab djdlab at bimcore.emory.edu
Tue Nov 14 13:21:01 EST 1995

I have recently cloned a PCR product obtained using yeast genomic DNA
as the template.  The product was produced using degenerate primers,
designed to match sequences conserved across species in a particular
protein.  Some of the sequence seems to match well with the expected
translated product, however, the clone does not appear to have a single
ORF (i.e., when translated in the 3 frames suggested by the assumed
orientation of the original primers, none of the 3 frames are a complete
ORF).

One of the possibilities is that this is, indeed, the gene I'm looking for,
but it contains at least one intron.

I don't know much about introns in  yeast nuclear genes.  Basically I want
to know how to spot an intron from the primary sequence and where to find
basic info on yeast nuclear genomic introns and splicing.

I will post a summary of the best help I have received in response.

Thanks,

Brett Burkholder

Emory University
Genetics and Molecular Medicine