Anaerobic growth of S. cerevisiae

Michael Lichten lichten at HELIX.NIH.GOV
Fri Jul 28 08:18:54 EST 1995

>        I am attempting to grow S. cerevisiae anaerobically.  Is there
>any specific media or media supplements that I should use?  Any
>information would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Natalie J. Morey                nmorey at bimcore.emory.edu
>Dr. Jinks-Robertson lab
>Emory University
>Atlanta, GA

Dear Natalie,

When I was in Jim Haber's lab we used the following method for plates:

1.  Get a large dessicator, and put it in your incubator or warm room.

2.  Take a piece of tubing, and attach one end to the hose fitting on the
lid of the desicator.  Put the other end in an Erlemeyer flask filled with
water.

3.  Put dry ice in the bottom of the dessicator, under the platform.  Put
your plates on the platform.

4.  Put the lid on the dessicator and the other end of the tube in the water.

The dry ice sublimates, the CO2 drives the air up and out of the chamber.
Because of the water lock, no air can re-enter the chamber.  Nifty, huh?

I don't think that this system will make things completely anaerobic, but
it may be enough for your needs.  We used it primarly to distinguish
between Gal+ and Gal- phenotypes, which is sometimes hard to score on
plates grown in normal atmosphere.

If you really need anaerobic conditions, you can buy anaerobic packs,
enough for 10 plates or so, from most supply houses.

Good luck!

Michael Lichten
lichten at helix.nih.gov