Sorbitol as C-source

Dan Zabetakis dan at cubsps.bio.columbia.edu
Wed Jul 26 09:44:09 EST 1995

In article <3v2v4i$r7m at eagle.novo.dk>, Jan Eric Jensen  <eric at novo.dk> wrote:
>My question is: can S. cerevisiae grow on lets say YPSorbitol ?

  I don't think so. I think the whole point behind sorbitol in the Real
World is, as the Merck Index says, "will not support microbial growth." It's
sort of an undigestable thickener.

  Of course, I could be wrong. I have seen contaminated sorbitol solutions,
but the fungi might have been using something else for carbon.

  You can, of course, determine the answer empirically by trying it.

DanZ