How do I select the Leu- cells?

Chuck Staben staben at pop.uky.edu
Tue Jul 25 17:36:11 EST 1995

I am picking this up in the middle, but could you
use inositol selection?  If you have ino-, leu- it should
remain viable in -Leu medium, but the LEU+ will die.  Inositol
selection should be pretty general as a means of selecting against
prototrophs of various sorts.  One problem is that you might not have the
ino- marker in your strain.  I would guess that the easiest way to generate
that would be by targeted disruption of your starting strain.
A selection similar to this was described based on thermotolerance,
but this was not very effective in our hands.