Selective killing of dividing yeast

Micky Krol mkrol at macc.wisc.edu
Thu Jul 6 15:10:45 EST 1995

In article <3tbgn4$scp at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, TOMASKA at fns.uniba.sk wrote:

> Can somebody suggest a method of selective killing of groowing as
> opossed too non-dividing yeast cells?
>
> Lubo Tomaska
> Dept. Genetics
> Faculty of Natural Sci.
> Comenius University
> Bratislava, Slovakia
Alternatively, you can use the method of Susan Henry and Mike Culbertson
(order does not imply anything), starting with inositol auxotrophs....if
deprived of inositol, any growing mutants die (likely from membrane
failure)...mutants whose growth is arrested survive to be recovered on
inositol plus the permissive condition for your mutation.

Refs:
M. R. Culbertson and S. A. Henry,  Genetics 80:23-40  (may 1975)

S. A. Henry, T. F. Donahue and M. R. Culbertson, Mol. Gen. Gen. 143:5-11 (1975)

in short this method is like penicillin enrichment for E. coli mutants.

hope this helps!!

-Micky

Yup...the opinions expressed herein are only mine, and sometimes not even that...so please don't blame anyone else, not even my mom.
PGP key available upon request...I prefer to send and recieve mail in envelopes rather than on postcards!!!