'Private' sequence databases

MEWES at MIPS15.dnet.mips.biochem.mpg.de MEWES at MIPS15.dnet.mips.biochem.mpg.de
Mon Feb 27 07:37:55 EST 1995

Concerns: Messages CHRVI (C. McDiarmid, F. Oulette)

Dear Collin, dear Francis, dear Yeastnetters,

I have to clearify the situation, since I think Francis has not given
an appropriate reply to Colin's problem when he wrote:

>>the problem with private (yeast -hwm) databases, is that they are private

> public databases.  I sent the sequence to MIPS and there was no hit in
> the private databases either.  Looking up chromosome VI sequencing
> plans I find the entire sequence should be in the private database.

First of all, our EU-sequences are not private, we hold the data for the
purpose of data processing in the Yeast Sequencing Project. Essentialy
these data are experimental results, 'owned' by the laboratories that
collaborate in the project. As any other experimental data. The difference
here is that labs are obliged to release the data at the time a chromosome
is completed and that (in agreement with the consortium) we provide the
mechanism of confidential database searches for the community to allow
early exchange of data whenever possible (which has been used by Colin).
Of course, no one of the American, Canadian, Britisch, Japanese labs
involved in sequencing S. cerevisae at the chromosome level deposits its
data in that database. This is the case for Chromosome VI, in the hands
of Dr. Murakami.

The coordinate distribution of chromosomes to labs/groups worldwide is
well known. If Colin is frustrated, I see a lack of information. The
Japanese group is sequencing Chromosome VI since 1992 (as far as I know).

I hope that give an appropriate explanation for the fact the Colin appeared
to be frustrated by his search.

H. Werner Mewes

Max-Planck-Inst f. Biochemie
MIPS
82152 Martinsried, Germany
Reply to 'mewes at mips.embnet.org'

Chromosomes sequenced within the EU Yeast Sequencing Network:

CHRII (finished in 1994)
CHRIII (finished in 1992)
CHRIV  (right arm)
CHRVII
CHRX
CHRXI  (finished in 1994)
CHRXII (left arm)
CHRXIV
CHRXV
CHRXVI (right arm)

Data of other chromosome sequencing project are not included in the
MIPS confidential database