growth

Dave Eide deide at D.UMN.EDU
Mon Feb 20 08:29:41 EST 1995

In message <Pine.3.03+.9502161359.A25514-9100000 at fhs.csu.McMaster.CA> Kathy
Shire writes:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone ever had problems growing yeast (with 2 selectable plasmids, 2u
> ori) in minimal medium?  My yeast grows well on plates and really slow
> (double time approx. O/N) in liquid medium (growth stops after 2 days at
> approx. OD600=1).  Apart from the yeast getting dizzy in the shaker, there
> shouldn't be any difference btwn liquid cultures and growth on solid medium.
> My LIQUID Bgal assays are not working out...HELP!
>
> The shaker is at 30C and 225rpm.
>
> Thanks for being there,
>
> Kath

Hi Kath,

I've always felt that there was a BIG difference between liquid culture and
growth in colonies.  In liquid, the cells are dispersed and have equal access to
nutrients.  In a colony, it seems like the cells in the center of the colony may
be anoxic and have less available nutrients.  Furthermore, the cells might also
be able to generate lower local pH in colonies than in liquid.  These are just
impressions and I can't back them up with any data.

So, why don't your cells grow well in liquid when they do on plates?  We have
strains that are defective for iron uptake that grow well on plates but not in
liquid and believe it to be pH effects.   What's the genotype of your strain?

Dave Eide

David Eide
University of Minnesota-Duluth
10 University Drive