Non-metabolizable inducer

Arle Kruckeberg arle at biovax.leeds.ac.uk
Sat Feb 18 16:56:23 EST 1995

In article <i45223a-1702951042240001 at news.cc.nagoya-u.ac.jp>
i45223a at nucc.cc.nagoya-u.ac.jp (Masato Nakai) writes:

> Does anyone know about non-metabolizable inducer for GAL promoter(s) in
> yeast cells?

See Cirillo, V.P. 1968. Galactose transport in Saccharomyces
cerevisiae. I. Nonmetabolized sugars as substrates and inducers of the
galactose transport system. J. Bacteriol. 95:1727-1731.

There he describes that in some strains, D-fucose and L-arabinose  "are
also gratuitous inducers" of GAL2-dependent galactose uptake, when the
medium contained 02.% glucose + 0.2% inducer (galactose, fucose, or
arabinose; YP
rich medium). Note that in no case were these sugars (galactose
structural
analogs) metabolized.

Maybe they'll work for other genes under GAL4 control (as is GAL2,
which has
3 UAS-GALs upstream); I don't know if its been tried.

If it does, let me know?

Thanks,

Arle
a.k.a. Dr. Arthur L. Kruckeberg
University of Leeds        phone  +44 532 333172
Leeds LS2 9JT              FAX    +44 532 333167
Great Britain            arle at biovax.leeds.ac.uk