colony lift lysis

Michael Moser moser at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Mon Feb 13 13:25:02 EST 1995

Dear Yeasties,

On 13 Feb 1995 ROSENKRANTZ at gems.vcu.edu wrote:

> Does anyone have an alternative to liquid nitrogen lysis?
> Are xgal plates too unreliable??  THanks

I too wondered about this questions.  I tried using X-Gal plates for
2-hybrid strains where colony lifts were recommended, and I got no blue
color at all.  I do get good blue color from other strains.  It seems that
some 2-Hybrid strains are less "leaky"  than others when it comes to
secreting beta-Gal into the media.  Thus, for "leaky" strains you can use
X-Gal plates.  For "non-leaky" strains you need to do colony lifts.  The
lifts do have the advantage of being faster than plates.
Sincerely,

Mike Moser                                             Tel: 206-543-5354
Department of Biochemistry  SJ-70                      FAX: 206-685-1792
University of Washington                          moser at u.washington.edu
Seattle, WA  98195                          Make peace my beast is yeast