biosci policy on shyster ads

Matthew Sachs msachs at ADMIN.OGI.EDU
Sat Feb 11 14:41:42 EST 1995

Following is a copy of email correspondence between myself and the bionet
manager regarding responses to ads.  It appears that email responses
pertaining to individual ads may not be necessary at present.

******begin correspondence*****
>> Dear Bionet Administrators,
>>
>> The etymology of the word shyster reveals how appropriate it may be to
>> describe anyone, particularly a lawyer, who is responsible for fouling
>> bionet with advertisements.  The 3rd American Heritage Dictionary considers
>> two possibilities for its origin:  possibly from the German word scheisser,
>> one who defecates, or possibly from Scheuster, the name of a disreputable
>> (fictional?) 19th century attorney.
>>
>> It would be ideal if we could effectively minimize adverse effects arising
>> from shysters leaving evidence of their activities at our electronic
>> doorsteps in ways that do not also diminish us.
>>
>> I would appreciate knowing what are specific bionet administrative policies
>> or recommendations regarding responses to shyster postings.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Matthew Sachs

>We contact the administrator of the site and get the offending account
>shut down.  This happened yesterday.
>
>                                Sincerely,
>
>                                Dave Kristofferson
>                                BIOSCI/bionet Manager
>
>                                biosci-help at net.bio.net

******end correspondence*****

Matthew Sachs
Department of Chemistry, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Oregon Graduate Institute of Science and Technology
20000 NW Walker Road
P.O. Box 91000
Portland, OR  97291-1000
503 690-1487 Phone