Growth of Yeast on Non-Fermentable CHO's

Greg Cosentino Cosentino at medcor.mcgill.ca
Mon Dec 11 18:08:05 EST 1995

Hi Netters,

I am checking the ability of a yeast strain to grow on
non-fermentable carbohydrates (glycerol, ethanol, and acetate)
compared to glucose. As a lark, I also streaked my yeast onto
control plates composed of yeast extract and peptone but with no
carbohydrate at all. It seems that the strains capable of aerobic
growth also grew in the absence of any carbohydrate whatsover, but
the petite mutants didn't grow. The seed cultures were made in
liquid YPD media and then washed extensively with water prior to
plating so I wouldn't carry over any of the glucose containing media
when I plated them. Any ideas to explain growth of the yeast in the
absence of carbohydrate?