Heterologous protein expression

crbaker crbaker at mail.tcd.ie
Fri Dec 1 03:43:38 EST 1995

Hello,
I am in search of some advice.
i have been trying to (over)express a 70kDa transmembrane (12 putative)
transporter glycoprotein. Although transient mammalian cell transfection
is carried out in the lab expression levels are quite low. I have tried
E. coli expression, as a GST fusion and induction proves toxic to the
cells. Material recoved from an affinity column ranges from 30-75kDa
and using an antiGST antibody on whole E.coli boiled in sample buffer
I see this truncation (proteolysis or premature translation
termination?) occurs in vivo. The yield can be estimated as approx
40-50ug/litre full length product (short induction times/room temp etc.)
But to cut a long story short I also have tried a tac promotor-hexahis
vector, T7 based hexahis vector and a couple of pET vectors with
much the same story.
In parallel I have also tried expression in Pichia - made the pHIL-D2
construct, confirmed the cDNA is there by southern analysis but have yet
to see protein expression. At present I am carrying out some northerns.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend another yeast expression
system. Would episomal plasmid based expression maybe in Saccharomyces
be worth trying, which promotor? under constitutive or inducible
control?
I would be most grateful for help, information or advice on such
systems and experiences with them.
Thanks for your time.

Cara Baker (crbaker at mail.tcd.ie)
Dept. of Biochemistry