His-tag purification of multi-subunit protein

Michael McAlear mmcalear at MAIL.WESLEYAN.EDU
Thu Aug 31 16:47:56 EST 1995

Dear Yeast.net members:

        I have a question concerning the His-tag system for purifying
proteins from yeast.  I am thinking of trying to purify a multi-subunit
protein from yeast by tagging one of its subunits with the 6 x His tag.
Has anyone tried this approach?  I am concerned about whether or not the
other subunits will stay associated through the purification steps.  I
realize that different proteins will likely behave differently, but any
info would be appreciated.

        Also, are there anti- 6 x His antibodies out there, and if so, how
good are they?

Thanks for your help,

Mike McAlear

Michael A. McAlear
Dept. of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
Hall-Atwater-Shanklin Labs, Rm 228
Wesleyan University
Middletown, CT
06459-0175