Largest S.cerevisiae introns?

Mike Cherry cherry at GENOME.STANFORD.EDU
Thu Aug 24 01:50:21 EST 1995

Doug Portman (doug at quicklink.com) wrote:
> I'm in the process of characterizing a novel S. cerevisiae gene which has
> an intron of 766 bp. Does anyone know how many yeast genes contain
> introns larger than this? The only one I've been able to find is DBP2,
> the yeast gene for the p68 RNA helicase, which contains a 1-kb intron
> (MCB 11:1326, 1991).

Other than a couple large mitochondrial introns there is a 1384 nt
intron in the SUP35 gene.  Here is a bit of the GenBank entry for this
gene.

LOCUS       YSCSUP2      3321 bp    DNA             PLN       15-MAR-1989
DEFINITION  Yeast (S.cerevisiea) omnipotent suppressor (SUP2) gene, complete
            cds.
ACCESSION   M21129
REFERENCE   1  (bases 1 to 3321)
  AUTHORS   Kushnirov,V.V., Ter-Avanesyan,M.D., Telckov,M.V., Surguchov,A.P.,
            Smirnov,V.N. and Inge-Vechtomov,S.G.
  TITLE     Nucleotide sequence of the SUP2 (SUP35) gene of Saccharomyces
            cerevisiae
  JOURNAL   Gene 66, 45-54 (1988)
  MEDLINE   88329727
     CDS             join(739. .1105,2489. .2796)
                     /note="omnipotent suppressor;  NCBI gi: 172790"
                     /codon_start=1

Mike