Imaging petridishes

patrick linder linder at urz.unibas.ch
Sun Aug 20 09:13:23 EST 1995

Dear Netters,

some time ago I posted a request about imaging petridishes for a Mac. I have
received several replies, but so far none of them worked out. Thanks anyway. I
include the replies at the bottom of the message. Since then I found
another solution, not really cheap, but still within our possibilities. Using
a QuickTake100 camera, the picture I can produce on the Mac a fairly good
and it does not take too long. It also works for proteingels etc. But it does
- at least in my hands - not replace a nice photograph. Any other suggestions,
ideas or hints?

Patrick Linder
linder at cmu.unige.ch

>Dear Netters,
>
>we would like to record our petridishes with a camera, store the data as
>TIFF files and use them to integrate the pictures in documents to make
>slides and transparencies. The pictures are recorded on a PC disc and then
>we are working with NIH Image on a Mac.
>Our problem is, that the petridishes come out like eggs. Apparently the
>picture is fine on PC. Although it is possible to distort the picture
>to make the petridishes again round, this is not satisfying and the
>quality is low.
>
>Did you experience similar problems? How do you take pictures of petridishes?
>Any help will be greatly appreciated.

=================

Are you using an Olympus Cue-2 system by any chance?  You shouldn't be
getting distortions when you recall saved files to the TV (not computer)
screen.  However, when I print saved pictures on the laser printer, they
are distorted as you say.  But, they are not distorted on a dot-matrix
printer (which of course lacks the detail that you get from a laser).
The Olympus rep told me it was related to the differences in the
printer control characters for each type of printer.  SWM

mamber at synapse.bms.com

Dear Yeasties,
        We generally use our Polaroid camera that we have for taking
pictures of EtBr gels.  Illuminate from above plates sitting on a black
background.  Settings 1/125th sec ~f8-f11.  I have also scanned plates on
a flatbed scanner for semi-quantitative analysis of halo assays.
Sincerely

Mike Moser                                             Tel: 206-543-5354
UW Department of Biochemistry                          FAX: 206-685-1792
Box 357350                                        moser at u.washington.edu
Seattle, WA  98195-7350                     Make peace my beast is yeast

=================================

Dear Patrick,

The aspect ratio must be different between the two programs.  I believe
that you can adjust the vertical/horizontal aspect ration within Image,
which should give you better results.

Wayne Rasband wrote Image.  His email address is wayne at helix.nih.gov.  You
might want to communicate directly with him.  Give him as much information
as you can.

Michael Lichten
lichten at helix.nih.gov

and :

You can use the Scale and Rotate command to correct aspect ratio
distortion. I would use NIH Image, a TV camera and frame grabber card to
capture images of petri dishes.

--wayne

Somebody (sorry I forgot your name and did not keep your mail) also suggested
to take 24x36 pictures and to store them on a CD for later analysis on a Mac.