ade2

Dean R. Appling appling at utbc01.cm.utexas.edu
Fri Aug 4 08:49:14 EST 1995

In article <3vsma6$2n6 at zeus.rbi.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de> Martin Grey,
grey at em.uni-frankfurt.de writes:
>Hi,
>Is there anybody who can give me some informations (references) about the
>red pigment that is produced by ade2 mutants, e.g.,
>
>- synthesis and chemical structure?
>- where is the location of this pigment (cytosol?) ?
>- which co-factors are essential for the manifestation of the red colour?
>  Is it possible that the final component (pigment) just turns red if it
>  is   reduced?
>Thank you very much in advance,
>                                 Martin

The red pigment is apparently an oxidized, polymerized derivative of
5-aminoimidazole ribotide which accumulates in ade2 or ade1 strains grown
on media low in adenine.  The pigment has not been well characterized,
but some chemistry was published in 1967 (Smirnov, M. N., Smirnov, V. N.,
Budowsky, E. I., Inge-Vechtomov, S. G. & Serebrjakov, N. G. (1967)
Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 27, 299-304).  The pigment seems to
accumulate in the vacuole (Weisman, L. S., Bacallao, R. & Wickner, W.
(1987) J. Cell Biol. 105, 1539-1547).
Dean R. Appling
Dept. of Chemistry & Biochemistry
Univ. of Texas at Austin