highschool esperiments II

STRATHER at FCRFV2.NCIFCRF.GOV STRATHER at FCRFV2.NCIFCRF.GOV
Wed Aug 2 12:58:30 EST 1995

highschool esperiments II
     We also have a cute experiment we call sex in a testtube that
always holds students attention for a few minutes and allows a discussion
of the yeast sexual cycle and mating pheromones.  The experiment uses
Saccharomyces kluyveri strains   MAT@ ura3
                                 MATa      his3
these two strains have a very strong sexual agglutination reaction.  It
is possible to mix the two strains at room temperature and see them
congregate into a mass.  This allows a discussion of the fact that they
can recognize cell type differences (the control separate cultures do not
agglutinate).  Note that the diploid can be selected because it will grow
on minimal medium while both parents will not.  JEFF