High school labs

BHOOPES at CENTER.COLGATE.EDU BHOOPES at CENTER.COLGATE.EDU
Tue Aug 1 19:08:07 EST 1995

In article <3vj7t9$r55 at no-names.nerdc.ufl.edu>,
Lynda Hanssen <yuan at ufcc.ufl.edu> wrote:
> I'm looking for any lab activities involving
>Mendelian genetics with yeasts.

  This might be a bit difficult since yeast genetics usually requires
microdissection of the tetrads. After thinking of it for a while I really
can't think of anything to do with yeast that could be done in a high school
setting.

DanZ

--We've done genetics labs with yeast in our freshman course doing random
spore analysis.  It's not quite as aesthetically pleasing, but students can
get the gist of complementation and segregation just doing crosses, sporulating,and looking at the phenotype of random spores by replica plating.
	B Hoopes
	Colgate