GAL4 nuclear localization signal

Dan Zabetakis dan at cubsps.bio.columbia.edu
Sat Oct 22 00:13:04 EST 1994

In article <ras-1-2110942020080001 at mac04.biochem.ualberta.ca>,
Colin Rasmussen <ras-1 at bones.biochem.ualberta.ca> wrote:
>In article <3894em$gms at mark.ucdavis.edu>, ez003450 at bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu
>(George Theodoris) wrote:
>
>> Regarding the 2-hybrid vectors which make fusions to the Gal4 activating
>> and DNA binding domains: Is there an easy way of removing the nuclear
>> localization signals from these vectors so that the hybrid proteins will
>> no longer be localized to the nucleus? Are there convenient restriction
>
>My question is why would you want to do this. If it's to purify a protein
>there are lots of other ways. The two-hybrid idea depends on nuclear
>localization.

  He's thinks he can use it as a marker for nuclear transport. :-) :-)

  Just to answer the question, I think you need to look up references by
P. Silver. She worked on localization of one of the gal's. I'm pretty
sure it was GAL4.

DanZ (who knows that even a single molecule of a transcription factor
can stimulate transcription :-) ;-)