Klett vs.OD

Abhijit Datta adatta at bimcore.emory.edu
Tue Oct 18 10:15:57 EST 1994

klett-Sumerson colorimeter scale is graduated in units proportional to OD.  The actual numerical values represent the OD devided by two, with the decimal point omitted.  For eg., a scale of 250 corresponds to OD of 0.500

The formula relating scale reading and OD is:

D = R X 2/1000

where D is density and R is the reading.

it is more accurate to relate the reading in terms of per cent transmittance but would require looking up a already computed chart  available in the manual accompanying the old klett meters.

or
1) get OD value from reading as above

2) subtract OD from 2.000
The result is the logarithm of the per cent transmittance.

eg.	 scale reading =150

	OD=150 X 0.002 = 0.300

	log% transmittance = 2.000- 0.300= 1.700
	% transmittance = 50.2%