Getting them to mate...

Michael Kyba kyba at bcu.ubc.ca
Fri Nov 25 21:48:10 EST 1994

I am having a bugger of a time getting my yeasts to mate.

I have a large number of matings to do  (~600), and have been going
about it by making 1cm squared smears, mixing together gobs
from the two haploid strains (twenty to a plate.)  I
just leave the plates at 30 degrees and have a look after two
days time.  On some plates, it works wonderfully - each smear
has lots of little colonies comming up.  On others it is patchy -
some smears have a few colonies, others have none.  And on
many plates, no diploid colonies come up.  I am using complete
minimal dropout medium.  Does the growth medium make a difference?
Does temperature make a difference?  Should I play violins to them?

Any help would be appreciated,
Michael Kyba