BLAST server at NLM

Francis Ouellette francis at BORDUAS.NLM.NIH.GOV
Mon Nov 21 16:28:11 EST 1994

> From: klaus at biovax.biology.uiowa.edu (Klaus Schr\vppel)
> Subject: BLAST server at NLM

Klaus,

> could anybody send me information about the BLAST server at the NLM and
> how to use it?

to use the BLAST Email server, send the word 'help' to this address:

blast at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

and you will get two documents that tell you many of the things you
need to know.  Additionaly, mail to blast-help at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov for
further information.

> Additionally I would like to learn, how to submit sequences to GenBank via
> the net.

the address is:

gb-sub at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

and I attach the document for information on where/how to get more info.

regards,

francis

--
| B.F. Francis Ouellette
|
| francis at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

this document from our WWW page:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Submitting Sequence Data to GenBank

Introduction

One of the most important sources of data for GenBank is direct
submissions from scientists.  NCBI is committed to providing timely and
accurate processing for new entries and updates to existing entries.

Your Manuscript

Most journals now expect that DNA and amino acid sequences that appear
in articles will be submitted to a sequence database before
publication. Please be aware that it is only necessary to submit the
sequence to one database, whichever one is most convenient, without
regard for where the sequence may be published. Data exchange between
GenBank, EMBL and DDBJ occurs daily.

Submitting a Sequence

The easiest, and preferable, method of formatting your sequence data
for submission to GenBank is to use the Authorin program.

Authorin employs easy-to-use on-screen forms in which to enter
information about the submitter of the sequence, the associated
bibliographic and biological data, and the sequence itself. The program
is provided with full documentation. Submission files generated by
Authorin may be sent by electronic mail to:

     gb-sub at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

As an alternative, the submission file can be copied to floppy disk and
mailed to GenBank Submissions at:

   GenBank Submissions
   National Center for Biotechnology Information
   National Library of Medicine
   Bldg. 38A, Room 8N-803
   Bethesda, MD 20894

Please label the disk with your name and file name and indicate whether
it is a PC or MAC disk.

Accession Numbers

GenBank will provide you with a unique ID number to identify your
sequence, usually within one working day, if the submission is received
via electronic mail. This accession number serves as confirmation that
you have submitted your data, and allows the community to retrieve the
data upon reading the journal article.

The accession number should be included in your manuscript, preferably
in a footnote on the first page of the article, or as required by
individual journal procedures.

Updates

NCBI processes update requests as well as new submissions. You can
provide additional annotation, correct errors or omissions, or request
the release of a "hold-until-published" record. Updates may be
submitted as Authorin files or by using an e-mail form. You may also
send updates as narrative e-mail messages or as appropriately edited
GenBank flat file records.  Be sure to give the accession number of the
sequence to be updated along with all update, correction, or
publication information. Send it to:

     update at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Submission Form

We strongly urge submitters to use Authorin, but if you are unable to
do so, we have an electronic submission form that can be used as an
alternative. Please specify that you need the electronic submission
form. Request it from:

     authorin at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Submission of ESTs and STSs

Batches of ESTs (expressed sequence tags) and STSs (sequence tagged
sites) can be submitted via special streamlined procedures.

Confidentiality

Some authors are concerned that the appearance of their data in GenBank
prior to publication will compromise their work. GenBank will, upon
request, withhold release of new submissions until the paper is
published.

We encourage authors to inform us of the appearance of the published
data; failure to do so could result in delays in making your data
available in GenBank. Please send the full publication data--all
authors, title, journal, volume, pages and date--to the following
address:

     update at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov