5' ends and translational starts

jansma at RESUNIX.RI.SICKKIDS.ON.CA jansma at RESUNIX.RI.SICKKIDS.ON.CA
Thu Nov 17 12:16:36 EST 1994

>Fellow smaller (not lower) eukaryote enthusiasts,
>We did a primer extension that suggested transcription of a gene initiated
>one nucleotide upstream from an ATG in the sequence.   Would such a
>transcript be likely successfully to have a ribosome initiate translation on
>the second through fourth nucleotides?  Is anyone aware of such a short 5'
>untranslated region in any other gene (yeast or otherwise).  Thanks for any
>input.
>Charlie Hoffman
>"I'd rather be fission."

My good friend Emmanuel Maicas has you beat by one!  He saw initiation from
a leader of a TCM1 derivative with a mRNA starting at the A of the
initiation codon.  See E. Maicas, Shago, M. and Friesen, J.D. (1990)
Translation of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae tcm1 gene in the absence of a
5'-untranslated leader.
Nucleic Acids Research 18: 5823-5828.
David Jansma
jansma at sickkids.on.ca