selective killing of growing cells

FATIMA at AIMP.UNA.AC.AT FATIMA at AIMP.UNA.AC.AT
Fri Nov 4 13:40:18 EST 1994

There are many ways how to selectively kill growing cells, but the
simpliest one is probably heating the culture for a few minutes to
something over 50 degrees C (sorry, I can't remember exactly, but it
should be in:
Walton E.F., Carter B.L.A., Pringle J.R. (1979). An enrichment method
for temperature-sensitive and auxotrophic mutants of yeast. Mol. Gen.
Genet. 171:111-114.)
You could also try other nystatin-related antibiotics like
amfotericin B (Thomulka and Moat, J. Bacteriol. 96:283-284, 1968),
N-glycosyl-polifungin (Polaina and Conde, Mutat. Res. 91:111-114, 1981)
or even the difference in the sensitivity of growing and non-growing
cells to glusulase (Ferenczy et al., Nature 253:46-47, 1975; Piedra
and Herrera, Folia Microbiol. 21:337-341). Or even may be the yeast
killer factor (there may be a reference in: Vondrejs, Microbiol. Sci.
4:313-316, 1987). But I guess that the hot water is simplier than
anything else...

Good luck!

Fatima

P.S. Don't wonder why I have all these references - I did my diploma on it.