Fatty Acid Medium

Tomas Drgon DRGON at fns.uniba.sk
Wed Mar 2 14:31:43 EST 1994

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure that I would add the fatty acid prior to autoclaving.  We tend
> to autoclave the media first, let it cool, add the detergent, then deliver
> the proper amount of fatty acid in ethanol.  This seems to work fairly well.
> I am curious as to why you use 0.5% fatty acid.  Most of the receipes I have
> seen call for about 0.1% fatty acid (approximately 4 mM).
>
> Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dubear Kroening
> dubear at molbio.cbs.umn.edu

Ciao.

We do it as follows:

-prepare 10% solution (emulsion) of oleic acid in sterile water with
 0.2%  Tween

-titrate to pH about 7 with NaOH

-boil on water bath for 15 minutes (semisterilisation)

-add to autoclaved media to 0.1% (depends what you do)

We use this for induction of peroxisomal enzymes in S.c.
Works well, 10% stock stays in solution ,no contamination.
Shelf life: several months at RT.

Good luck

Tomas Drgon

P.S.: For some refs try the name Rytka in MedLine.