Germination

Hoffmacs Hoffmacs at HERMES.BC.EDU
Thu Jun 30 16:26:36 EST 1994

Greetings spore (ts) fans,
Nothing personal, but this group has been pretty boring as of late.  In an
effort to stimulate an exchange of speculation, I pose the following question.
What triggers a spore to germinate?  Does it "sense" a rich nutrient
environment?  If so, how does it do it?  I thought spores are impregnable?  How
long do yeast (and I mean all kinds of yeasts) spores remain viable in the
absense of nutrients?
Best wishes for platform and poster preparations,
Charlie Hoffman
Boston College
Dept. of Biology
"I'd rather be fission."