Molec. Genetics experiments request

David Stillman stillman at bioscience.utah.edu
Fri Jun 17 09:31:29 EST 1994

In article <1994Jun16.153637.1 at earth.doane.edu> , dkatz at earth.doane.edu
writes:

>I am in search of ideas for my molecular genetics course this coming
spring.
>I want the students to use not just the bacterial strains, but also
yeast
>mutants.  Is there a source for experiments, or does anyone have some
ideas
>for experiments and strains?

Tom and Monta Manney have prepared a set of protocols for classroom yeast
genetics, along with a set of strains. The program is really teach
genetics to students before they are in college, but I am sure that you
can get some good ideas from their materials. I used some of the stuff in
my son's elementary school class, and the kids really loved it.

There is one article in Genetics by Tom and Monta Manney (Genetics
134:387 1993 "Genetics in the Classroom").
They have also published an excellent 86 page booklet "Handbook for using
Yeast to Teach Genetics," for which they are asking $10.00.

I have the following e-mail addresses for Tom and Monta Manney at Kansas
State University:
Tom Manney    tmanney at ksuvm.ksu.edu
Monta Manney  mmanney at ksuvm.ksu.edu

>I am aware that there is a yeast strain center.  If I can get references
>specific strains, I should be able to request them.

The Yeast Genetic Stock Center at Berkeley distributes strains. Phone:
510-642-0815 Fax 510-642-8589. I don't know if their catalog of strains
is accessible over the internet.
The Kansas State Program distributes the strains needed for their
experiments at a nominal cost.

David Stillman
Department of Cellular, Viral and Molecular Biology
University of Utah Medical Center
Salt Lake City, UT 84132
stillman at bioscience.utah.edu
phone: 801-581-5429