help storing yeast

Tedd Elich Elich at sc2.salk.edu
Mon Jul 11 09:57:47 EST 1994

I've only been working with yeast (S. cerevisiae) for about a year now
and I've noticed that my -80 stocks are losing a lot of viability with
age (with some of my older stocks I can only get a few colonies from
large scoops).  I prepare my stocks by adding an equal volume of 30%
glycerol to an overnight culture, freezing in liq. N2, then transferring
to -80.  Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to make stocks that
last longer?  I would appreciate any help.  Thanks